Quick question

Pages: 1
Vapor
02/10/03 09:40 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I would love to start collecting minis, but I have a slight difficulty. I realise that most of them come in pieces that have to be put together, that isn't a problem. I can do that easily. However, as far as painting goes, I am sadly lacking in skill.

My difficulty lies in the fact that I demand a higher quality of myself than to just simply use unpainted minis, and I know that I will never be satisfied if I were to paint them myself. So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever painted minis for someone else? I've seen some painted minis, and they look incredible. If this is a possibility, let me know and maybe we can work out some kind of business deal.
"For those about to rock, we salute you." - AC DC

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Karagin
02/10/03 11:06 PM

I am not an expert on the painting so I stick to three base colors...a base OD green or forest green or a desert tan with brown or black stripes.

Some times I try some other base colors or go with like a gray or light brown as camo but normally I stick with simple and easy colors.

Bes thing to do is use a big brush to paint the primed mech and then use a small 00 or smaller to do the camo work and take your time as long as it looks good to you that is all that matters and once you have some that look good to you post the pics and folks will be very willing to help out on ideas such.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Vapor
02/11/03 03:22 AM

I used to put together model planes, and most of those, I painted. However, the paint job I managed to do was barely adequate. And those were just for display, and quite a bit larger than the minis. I'd like to have better paint jobs on minis that I would be actually using from time to time.

I could do it myself, but I can almost guarantee that I won't be satisfied with the end result. lol

"The evil that can come, from the heart of a man, must be answered in kind 'till it disappears, and we're safe." - Kansas
Cadet
02/11/03 02:21 PM

I haven't painted mini in eons, and got rid of mine when I sold off my BT stuff, but I'll tell you what. I'll paint one as an experiement and email you the pic. If you like what you see maybe we'll do business.

Sound good?
Does not play well with others.
Vapor
02/11/03 07:52 PM

Ok, sounds good. I'm sure you'll be able to do a better job than I could. I've never been very artistic. lol

Cadet
02/11/03 10:58 PM

So wha do you want? Something in military colors (like a camo pattern) or something more colorful (like a knight's machine might look, with colors and such)?
Vapor
02/11/03 11:48 PM

Military colors would be good, for the most part. I have a merc unit I'm working on putting together, though I haven't gotten to the point of assigning 'Mechs, yet, so feel free to use your imagination. If you want me to, I can go ahead with that step and give you a list, though I don't want to put any limits on anything. I'm very flexible, and I'm sure I could incorporate anything you did into the unit. I was thinking the unit would probably use a basic forest camo paint scheme, though if you have another idea, feel free to give it a shot.

Maybe at some point in the future I might ask if you could do a unique paint scheme on a 'Mech, but for now I don't need anything like that. A basic camo pattern would work fine.

Cadet
02/11/03 11:52 PM

Ok, give me a little bit of time. I need to get a mini (I'll just grab one from the store) paints and stuff. It'll just be a demo model. If you like what you see, great. If not, no harm no foul. I'll let you know when I have something and send you pics via email or posted on the web.
Vapor
02/12/03 02:53 AM

ok. Take your time. There's no hurry. :P

Sarge
11/06/03 07:42 AM

Even You Can Accurately Paint Battletech minis!

Look through some of the Field Manuals for the Great Houses and read the descriptions of the paint schemes for the units. Some can be done by anyone! Lyran Acrturan Guards and Marik Knights of the Inner Sphere are both basically solid white! Death Commandos are black! Kurita Sword of Light are red! .

-Sarge
Ozymandais
11/07/03 11:47 PM

The thing about paint schemes is that you have to consider the mechs use. The paint schemes in the tech manuels and house books are nice and all, but realistically those would mostly be (1) parade and display colors, in battle the vast majority of mechs would be painted to match the (2) expected terrain. Then there are dueling mechs, such as those found on Solaris7, painted to (3) stand out and be easily identifiable. Those are the 3 reasons that would dictate your choice of colors. Of course, from a strictly collecting point of view, rather than roleplaying, painting the mechs is 1/2 the fun. So be creative. If i can get my webcam working right, ill try to post some of the 100 or so paint jobs ive done.
JStallion
02/01/04 11:33 AM

"I need to get a mini (I'll just grab one from the store)"

u can just grab one from the store? thats crazy, theres no store (that i know of) that just sells them around here, itd be sweet if there was though
ALKIECARL
11/29/20 03:17 PM

Vapor, since you started this, let me say that I have painted some miniatures before. I used a simple method - If you don't like what I do, don't ask me to anything for you! I have several miniatures scatterer about my area I use. I learned the tried-n-true way of painting. All I did was think and use my imagination. So, here is an example:

I knew that the military uses camo a lot. All minis got grey primer, NO MATTER WHAT!! So, a simple lime green, blended with grey. I used that as my base layer, and dotted black here and there at random. Blended a bright brown with a touch of grey; I used that here and there. That was a fantastic palette for camo.

This is how I did my painting. For the Kerensky Fighters, I used a black mixed with red. This will give a blended red-black setup. I used that sparingly, let it dry, and applied a hazy white all over the mini. I loved it! It came across like a glazed fighter! All it takes is a little trial and error, good luck!
Karagin
11/29/20 04:57 PM

The idea is to keep it simple. Unless you are following a canon unit, then you stick to that paint scheme, but if it's mechs to play the game with then anything works. As I said above I try to stick to basic patterns. I have my camo stuff, I have my orange desert pattern and I have my take on the Ghost Bears and what I see them going for as well as for the Wolf Clan.

It is about having fun. If you want to have a parade pretty mech or a battalion worth, then that will take time and have you going for every detail you can, which is fine, some like to do that.

Hell, I have a buddy who still to this day does a base coat red, blue, purple, green, yellow and orange and then maybe a wash and the cockpits get done and that's it. He is happy and we play the game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 12360

Contact Admins Sarna.net